Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sustainable Energy at School

The Gist:


The Whole Story:

There has been quite a bit of chatter on Twitter over the past week about trying to go 'paperless' for this coming Earth Day.  The result was a blog post and challenge to commit to give it a go.  I know there are some of you out there who are practically 'paperless' everyday of the year, but I admittedly am not one of them.  I am the child of two pack-rats, one of which was a librarian.  The Nature or Nurture debate is irrelevant; Paper ... its feel, its smell, its heft ... I love it.

My love not withstanding, I realize I use too much paper in the classroom, and much of it just ends up in the recycling bin at the end of the unit, term, semester, year, ad infinitum.  So while I am currently not in the classroom (parental leave ... one of the greatest decisions I ever made), I am committing to reforming my future self of this bad habit.  We are not a 1:1 school, so I think entirely paperless may be beyond my abilities,  but the wheels in my mind are spinning with possibilities, and I can hardly wait until June when I will know what I will be teaching so the planning can start in earnest.

To my surprise while clearing out my inbox this morning, I came across the following article courtesy of Google Alerts about my school district.  I am excited & proud to say that I am a part of the Wayne Westland School Community.  What a great opportunity for the students of our district to move away from the automotive heritage of the community and get authentic experience with alternative energy systems.

More excitingly, I think that this could be the catalyst for even greater things from our district.  Lets return to the lighthouse district we once were for the state.  Lets take this project and expand it out.  Lets become a model of energy efficiency, lets focus not only on the big ticket high glamor shiny parts, but also on the waste in our day to day practice.  Turn off the copier, save the paper, and let the kids create learning.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus